In the case of an emergency, injury, sudden disease or health deterioration, patients should either call an ambulance or go directly to a hospital. In this case medical transport is free of charge. But remember about presenting in hospital your valid European Health Insurance Card or a replacement certificate.

Basic medical care

During a stay in Poland, free medical services are offered to citizens of the EU and four EFTA (European Free Trade Association) states: Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. Tourists from the above-mentioned states should acquire the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before travelling. EHIC card is valid for 2 months. This period is prolonged to 5 years for, e.g. students, retired people and pensioners.

Private health care

Apart from healthcare paid for by the National Health Fund, Poland has well-developed private health services. A visit ranges 80 and 150 zloty, depending on the kind of advice you seek, and the region you live in.

Students from the EU/EEA countries

Healthcare in Poland is available for students from EU/EEA countries but they should hold valid medical insurance in the national insurance system of their country. They should have:

  • a valid passport,
  • doctoral student identity card or student identity card
  • valid European Health Insurance Card (Europejska Karta Ubezpieczenia Zdrowotnego)

It entitles to medical care free of charge in Poland. More info is available on the website of the National Health Fund.

Students from outside the EU/EEA

Students from non-EU/EEA countries should buy their own international medical insurance prior to their arrival in Poland. Otherwise they are required to sign a voluntary health insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia – NFZ) and pay their own insurance fees (the cost is about EUR 15/month). Then students are entitled to free medical care.

Please note: When applying for a Polish visa, citizens of non-EU countries should take out health insurance that will be valid in all Member States (or in countries to which the visa applies) for the duration of the planned stay or transit. The minimum insurance amount is EUR 30,000. The insurance policy may be issued by any foreign or domestic insurance company, and the original document and its photocopy should be produced when applying for the visa.

Emergency service phone numer is: mobile phones: 112

More info is available on the website of the National Health Fund