Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences
Uniwersytet Przyrodniczy we Wrocławiu
WROCŁAW UNIVERSITY OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND LIFE SCIENCES (UPWr) is one of the best specialist universities in Poland. It conducts training and research in the field of agricultural and natural sciences as well as engineering and technical ones. The profile of UPWr and its mission are directly involved in transformation programmes dealing with rural development, animal health, environmental protection, land management and food quality, with full respect paid to social support and interaction. The knowledge acquired and the research projects realised at UPWr make provision for future development which is environmentally sustainable and friendly to human and animal welfare.
Undergraduate and postgraduate study programmes (http://www.rekrutacja.upwr.edu.pl/en/ ) are offered in 25 fields by 5 faculties:
· Faculty of Biology and Animal Science
· Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Science
· Faculty of Environmental Engineering and Geodesy
· Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
· Faculty of Life Sciences and Technology
The UPWr Doctoral School (https://upwr.edu.pl/en/research/upwr-doctoral-school) provides training in seven disciplines divided between three fields:
· Natural Sciences: Biological Sciences;
· Agricultural Science: Agriculture and horticulture, Nutrition and food technology, Veterinary Science, Animal Science and Fisheries;
· Engineering and Technology: Civil Engineering and Transport, Environmental Engineering, Mining and Energy.
The University participates in international educational programmes, such as Erasmus+, CEEPUS, Fulbright and DAAD. Thanks to this activity it is possible for the University students and academic teachers to travel and study or conduct research abroad. The Interdisciplinary International Doctoral School through its PhD programmes educates young scientists preparing them to work in research units and industries all over the world. Within the last years, the University has educated many international students coming from all over the world, e. g. Norway, the UK, India, China, the USA, Germany, Ukraine, and many more. Moreover, as a result of cooperation with a partner from Spain, University Miguel Hernandez of Elche, a new double master degree programme has been established. Its students have an opportunity to gain practical knowledge both in Poland and Spain.
Since 2017 UPWr has been featured in the international Shanghai Ranking among the best universities in the following categories: veterinary sciences, food science and technology. Veterinary medicine can boast a positive assessment of the European Association of Faculties of Veterinary Medicine (EAEVE), which confirms the highest quality of education at the faculty. Significant scientific achievements have placed UPWr among the top 20 universities in Poland, which will result in increased subsidy for the development of its research potential within the programme ‘Initiative of Excellence – Research University’ in the coming years.
The University has 4 off-campus research and educational facilities for scientific research, fieldwork and student training. UPWr owns 5 dormitories that offer accommodation at affordable prices. Students with a real passion for research have a choice of 49 science clubs. Artistic and sports interests may be developed in student artistic groups (e.g. university choir, dance group) or in 17 sports sections.
Facts & figures
- Established in 1951
- 2 campuses
- 740 academic staff
- 280 professors
- more than 8.000 students
- 5 faculties
- 25 fields of study in Polish and English
- International Doctoral School (PhD programmes)
- 5 dormitories
- Double diploma bachelor’s degree in Bioeconomy
- Double Master’s Degree in Food Technology
- PhD in Agriculture and Horticulture
- PhD in Animal Science and Fisheries
- PhD in Biological Sciences
- PhD in Civil Engineering and Transport
- PhD in Environmental Engineering, Mining and Energy
- PhD in Geodesy, Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics
- PhD in Nutrition and Food Technology
- PhD in Social and economic geography and spatial management
- PhD in Veterinary Science
- Uniform Master Veterinary Medicine studies in the English language