MSc in Materials Science and Engineering
Area of Studies
Degree (in English)
1,5 year (3 semesters)
University of Silesia in Katowice
Tuition and Other Fees
€2,300.00 per semester
Materials Engineering is an interdisciplinary field of scientific technical research which analyses the influence of materials’ chemical and physical structure on their electrical, mechanical, optical, surface, chemical, magnetic and thermal properties and the various combinations of those properties. Materials engineering is comprised of a number of modern physical and chemical research techniques which are used to characterize both the structure and properties of materials. These techniques aim at studying the influence of structure on materials’ properties, and in particular those which have practical applications in various technologies, enabling identification and acquisition of materials with defined properties. These studies influence the planned structure of end products and help to examine and work out effective methods of their production and processing. Research carried out within the materials engineering programme can lead to discovering new materials, though it is more commonly applied to improve those already in use.
• Graduates obtain the skills to use technical information and are prepared for work supporting materials engineering design. They also gain the knowledge of research methodology and team management in industrial environments and small and medium-size enterprises related to engineering materials manufacturing and processing. Graduates are prepared to work in a variety of environments: industrial enterprises – manufacturing, processing or using engineering materials, small and medium-size businesses - including enterprises which trade engineering materials and instruments for testing; research institutions and R&D centers; institutions involved in counselling and dissemination of knowledge in the field of materials engineering, materials technology and computer technology; and design and consultancy offices and institutions developing and operating computer IT systems used in materials engineering. Students will acquire an interdisciplinary scope of knowledge in the fields of team management for research and industrial activities, operation of IT and computer systems for engineering work and the selection of materials and manufacturing technologies. The graduates are prepared to undertake creative initiatives and make decisions on materials engineering and technologies, as well as independently run a business with particular focus on the areas which combine materials engineering, medicine and veterinary science.
Education RequirementsThe candidate applying for studies should hold a Bachelor of Engineering diploma (7-semester studies) in the field of technical studies.
Holders of regular Bachelor diplomas (6 semester studies) may apply for studies under condition of making up for the curricular differences.
The admission is dependent on the final grade on the Bachelor's or Master's diploma.
Note: If former stage of candidate's education was not conducted in English, the candidate is required to submit a certificate of fluency in English on B2 level at least
International Students Admissions Office,
Address: Bankowa 12,
40-007 Katowice, Poland
Phone: +48 32 359 22 72,
+48 32 359 22 73
e-mail: e-mail: email@example.com
phone: +48 32 359 21 83
- BEng in Materials Science and Engineering
- MA in Creative Management in New Media
- MA in English Studies, specialisation: American and Canadian Studies for Intercultural Relations and Diplomacy
- MA in International Business Law and Arbitration
- MSc in Biotechnology
- MSc in Computer Science
- MSc in Geography - Geographic Information Systems
- MSc in Materials Science and Engineering
- MSc in Physics, specialisation: Fundamerntal and Applied Physics
- MSc in Physics: Nanophysics and Mesoscopic Materials, Modelling and Applications